cinegab

Cinegab is a blog site devoted to movies or the entertainment industry directly or indirectly. A place where fans of movies and film can discuss the ins and outs of the art form.

28 September 2005

Review: Salinuie Chueok (Memories of Murder)

(Spoilers Ahead)

Salinui Chueok or in English, Memories of Murder is an excellent Korean film. This is a true story made into a movie about the first known Korean serial killer. It was released in Korea in 2003 and directed by Joon-ho Bong.

This is the third Korean movie I have seen and I have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. I will definitely be spending more time watching Korean cinema in the future. I think that the most fascinating thing about this movie is that it is hardly similar in any way to American crime drama movies. It was very intriguing to watch the way in which the Korean culture (or at least the culture portrayed on film) depicted crime solving and the contrast to what I am used to seeing in American crime solving. All of this is was very refreshing.

While I am not at all familiar with Korean actors, I was really impressed with the acting in this film. There were three main detectives in this movie all working to solve the crime. Each one of the detectives brought an exciting, intriguing chemistry to the film. The man who played the main detective is named Song Kang-ho. Here is a short biography on him.

There wasn't a single moment during the movie that I wasn't fully entrenched into it's storyline. These days with so many recycled plot lines in movies that's a difficult feat.

The ending was left very open ended, although this crime was never fully solved and the killer was never caught, so the real life story is still very much open ended as well. So in other words, it didn't have a Hollywood ending, which can be very energizing in a today's film world.

I didn't know anything about the movie beforehand, so I was expecting the ending to have a big twist like most crime movies do anymore. The fact that I felt entirely content when there was no twist when I was expecting one proves to me that a good story is a good story and doesn't need any tweaking.

I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys independent or foreign movies. Each scene was shot well and there was a great amount of suspense throughout. It's rare that a movie get me to feel much suspense these days.

Here is a great site for Korean cinema information

3 and a half stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home