cinegab

Cinegab is a blog site devoted to movies or the entertainment industry directly or indirectly. A place where fans of movies and film can discuss the ins and outs of the art form.

14 July 2005

Review: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

I had been looking forward to seeing Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow for a long time due to the fact that it was filmed entirely on location and against a blue screen. According to this site, it was one of the first movies and maybe even the first movie to do so. While I enjoyed Sky Captain I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I had seen it before I had seen Sin City since Sin City also was also filmed entirely against a blue screen. Sin City's digital effects due to the blue screen technique were just much, much better than Sky Captain's were. With that said Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was still a fun movie. The digital effects were superb and enthralling throughout.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow had a comic book feel to it. You know the good guy is going to win in the end but you really enjoy watching the hero save the world from peril. This movie is not only a science fiction movie but an alternate history / science fiction movie. The setting of this movie is in the 1930's with an evil German scientist that has created earth-terrorizing machines to hatch his evil plan.

After doing a little research I learned that Sky Captain plays homage to many of the science fiction movies of the 1930's as well as many other movies of yesteryear. I have always wanted to go back and watch the old movies that paved the way to today but never have, so I couldn't say what is and isn't similar with Sky Captain. This does, however, give me a great reason to go back and watch and gain an appreciation for the older movies before my time.

I also enjoyed the acting of this movie quite a bit. Gweneth Paltrow and Jude Law almost always impress me and this movie was no exception. I am also starting to gain a greater appreciation for Giovanni Ribisi who played a supporting role in this movie. The first few times I remember seeing Ribisi was on the well known sitcom Friends where he plays a dopey brother to Phoebe. Needless to say I was not very impressed, but the more and more I see him in various roles I am learning how much talent he really has.

This movie is good but not excellent. The plot is nothing original. It is what it is... It's fun, exciting, full of groundbreaking digital effects, and just all around exciting.

2 and half stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home